5/15/08

Day 6: Shap to Orton (June 29, 2007)

Accommodation: Mostyn House, Orton
Distance Walked: 8 miles

Sleepy Bre.

Today we were only going to Orton - 8 miles. but I'll have to admit it seemed like the longest walk for me and it wasn't until we had almost arrived that I really felt in the groove. I was really tired - maybe from the 17 mile walk the day before, but the walk was also just kind of non-eventful. The only thing that kept me going was the thought of eating chocolate cake at the chocolate factory! The most exciting thing, other than the mysterious "Discover Eden" sign posts, was the limekiln areas we came across, but it just seemed kind of lonely today. I can see how coming from the Lake District one can be really disappointed. But I think we have some neat things coming up - Dales and Moors, and I'm also taking Kimmi's lead and trying to be humorous.

I'm looking, I'm looking! Where is it?

We got to Orton really early - around 12:30 and went straight to Kendall's chocolate factory - and I'll tell you - it was the BEST cake I have ever eaten in my life! Homemade chocolate cake with homemade ice cream. Perhaps this was the Eden I was looking for. I realized I haven't had any sweet things this trip and I was craving it today! A little boost for the next leg. We also passed our 1/3 of the walk done mark! 2/3 of the way to go!
This is for you Kimmi!
The best chocolate cake EVER.


After eating we had the afternoon to just hang out, so we were sitting in the town square, enjoying the patches of sun, when I hear this curious sound of sheep "baaing." Was I imagining it? But then it kept getting louder and louder and all the sudden, a herd of sheep rounded the corner. A sheep drive through town!! It was great! Ooh . I haven't mentioned bogs. Okay, Stedman writes about places being boggy but let me tell you - I think I've mastered the art of crossing them. The key is not to press down hard, just gently put your foot down evenly and then bring it back up - because if you don't your shoe will be covered in mud, and most likely your pants too!

Enjoying the afternoon

Tonight we had a wonderful time at the pub, which was probably called the Kings Arms or something...we're finding that all the pubs are either called the Kings Arms or the Black Bull with an occasional Kings Head. [It was actually called the George Hotel and pub. Hey it was named after a King so I was close!] We went in to have dinner and then Sue and Helen - the GPS navigators that we have been seeing on the walk, always diligently consulting the GPS, came in and then Ken and Jane arrived. We all just had a great time eating and talking and Sue and Helen just cracked me up! They decided to do the walk after seeing a program on these people who walked 500 miles to loose weight. They decided why not! They are such an inspiration and just hearing their stories about their time on the path made me laugh and light up a little bit. Like apparently Sue fell in a stream today and was yelling at Helen to pull her out. Oh we were all just cracking up. Tomorrow off to Kirkby Stephen!


(NO MORE PHOTOS FROM THIS DAY...)



No comments: