5/15/08

Day 4: Grasmere to Patterdale (June 27, 2007)

Accommodation: Greenbank Farm, Patterdale
Distance Walked: 10 miles

How do I feel? Better and better. I'm no longer achy and my foot didn't really give me a problem today, although it is starting to hurt a bit now and my left knee is hurting which I hope will pass. It seems as if it's not one thing it's another. Today was really good. We decided to start off a little later than usual (around 10:00 although I think it was a little closer to 11:00 when we actually set out) as the walk wasn't supposed to be that long and we heard it was supposed to clear up in the afternoon. However, when we started out it was a complete downpour and we could only cross our fingers that it would clear up later. We also had some trouble getting out of Grasmere as Steddy wasn't very clear, so after wandering around somewhat randomly, we finally spotted people with backpacks which meant one thing: fellow Coast-to-Coasters. We ended up meeting with this guy who was named Steve, and spent the rest of the day hiking with him. It's always enjoyable to hike with others and chat and get to know each other.
Looking up Grisdale Tarn

Right off the bat we made our ascent up Grisdale Tarn. It was quite the ascent; not as steep as the others but long and just steep enough to wear on you. I also found myself getting more thirsty and our water was almost out by the top. Luckily the rain did stop, and it did start to clear up, with the sun actually poking through quite a bit. On the way up there were some great waterfalls and we were able o see St. Sundays Crag, Helvellyn and Striding Edge. (high route peaks that one can climb to if they so desire) I must admit that they seemed much less daunting than what I imagined and I was halfway tempted to try one, except then a little reminder from my foot or knee would pull me back to reality! But even so, our route was amazing, with the views of the valleys and the descent to Patterdale, going through a really nice place of farms and a river, all being picturesque. And cows - after seeing all the sheep, I'll admit that seeing the cows threw me off! We met up with the really nice couple who are only doing the walk halfway and ate lunch with them in the brief period of sunshine . I'll have to say that something about the sun and sitting there with the waterfalls and chatting, everything just seemed so perfect.

wow, it seems so ancient

Tonight in Patterdale, we are staying at Greenbank Farm, a working sheep farm, and the couple are the nicest people ever. Kimmi and Ruth are here and it is just fun hanging out with them. We ended up meeting at the White Lion pub and having dinner and tomorrow Kimmi and I are going to do the hike while Ruth and Bre take the boat down Ullswater and then catch the bus. Ruth is having problems with her foot and Bre is taking a rest day so it all works out perfect :) :)

The village of Patterdale with sheep farms all around

Tomorrow I just hope the weather isn't too bad and that my knee does all right. Please hold up! It's also the last day in the Lakes. Wow - they are beautiful and I will miss them. It seems that at this point people's schedules start getting different and we will all be soon parting ways. Its sad to think that the camaraderie that's built up so quickly, that close feeling that we got because we all started the walk in all our unknowing - its going to come to an end. And then a new stage will begin and hopefully new faces!

Day five here we come.






Remember this for tomorrow........


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hiya Coty,
Interesting blog, brought back memories for me. I walked with you on the day from Grasmere to Patterdale. I was camping so had a heavy pack, and after 5 days of rain decided that it wasn't quite as much fun as I had anticipated so packed up and went home. After spending the next 2 months regretting it and feeling like a loser I went back in September and started from scratch, this time going all the way. I had great weather almost every day, but oddly those 5 days I did on my first attempt still hold fonder memories. Maybe it was the company I kept? My memory of our day walking together was that it was very wet, of course, and that you were much more talkative than your sister!

Glad you had a great time
Steve

Coty said...

Steve! Wonderful to hear from you! And glad to know you completed the walk. I'd do it again in a heart beat.