5/15/08

Day 7: Orton to Kirkby Stephen (June 30, 2007)

Accommodation: Redmayne House, Kirkby Stephen (pronounced Kirby)
Distance walked: 13 miles

~Halfway through the walk, day-wise~

Famous signpost in Kirkby Stephen,
measuring distance in furlongs

Today was a pretty straightforward day, 11 miles to Kirkby Stephen. If Kidsty Pike was the day for wind, today was the day for rain. THE ENTIRE DAY it kind of lightly rained, slowly soaking our rain gear, and by the end it was a complete downpour! I keep thinking about that postcard for the Coast 2 Coast we see in the stores that shows just about every kind of weather possible. Yep, that’s the Coast to Coast! I could use a bit more sun though. Southeast of here, it is flooding all over, and I hope the rain stops soon or else we might be under water!
Tackling the muddy ground

We started off heading towards Knott Lane to get back on the trail and just as we found it, around the corner comes Jane and Ken. We ended up walking with them the entire way which was really nice to have the company. Jane is fun to talk to and Ken can add some great humor. I told them I had fallen for the little lambs and Ken proceeded to name off all sorts of lamb dishes. Poor little ones. So on we went over moorland which was a bit cumbersome. After a trek through muddy cow-stamped areas, some road, and more moorland, we reached more fields - I think I have going up and over stiles down to an art! Oh! - We finally made it to the valley of Eden! I’ve discovered it! Apparently, it is the name for the area we are in. Clever advertising there.

We saw the Severals Village settlement which is considered to be one of the most important prehistoric sites in Britain. (at least according to Steddy) I thought was neat even though all you could make out was some moved around areas of ground and stone. Then down into a little ravine and back up to see the Giants Graves, long mounds which look like huge graves and are speculated to be prehistoric rabbit enclosures......hmm....



Around here it really started to pour and I went and stuck my hand in nettles again. With that we shuffled off to Kirkby Stephen drenched to the bone. But the Redmayne House, our B & B is so cool! It has this old Victorian toilet! And has 5 floors with all this old furniture - obviously quite the home for its time - Georgian apparently - and now to keep it, its become a B & B. We also arrived with a note from Ruth and Kimmi, who stayed here last night.

The Victorian Loo -- by far the oldest I've ever sat on!

So English

Kirkby Stephen was a nice little town, and after the downpour, it actually cleared up and we took a nice stroll around. I visited the old church, St. Hedda, with lots of old relics and a stone called the Loki Stone, a Viking stone from the 8th century depicting the Norse god, Loki. I also broke down and bought a trekking pole. While my foot problems had gone away, my knee was still acting up now and then.

St. Hedda's Church and the Loki Stone



Hanging out in Kirby Stephen
the sun out and even a double rainbow

Tomorrow up to Nine Standards. I hope its not too horrible weather. And Bre is taking another day off so I’ll be walking alone. I just hope that maybe I’ll run into someone I can follow. Its funny how we walk and walk and the feelings of overcoming something happens during that time - and then reaching the destination there is this sense of euphoria - this happiness and relaxed state and ease. I love it.


No comments: